Monday, April 25, 2011

11.1 Fashion house- Betsey Johnson

Before I read the prompt for the final assignment I had made a decision for the last project to target a younger audience. I wanted to push a play a little more. The last two collections I had myself in mind as a consumer, and I like to wear easy, simple, yet interesting clothes. But I feel like targeting girls 16-22 would give me a lot more room to push a play with bold prints and frills, design elements I'm attracted to visually but have grown out of wearing as part of my own identity.
So with that decision already firmly made, I chose Betsey Johnson as the fashion house I will be "taking over". I think she has done some great stuff and some hideous stuff but I love the spirit of it! Girls just wanna have fun! I think the point of fashion is to make everyone either wish they were the wearer, or wish they were in bed with the wearer (or both). And I DON'T think all her stuff does that, but what it has is an "I don't care if you approve or not," vibe that I really identify with. But I'd like to add a little more "you wish you were me" back into it. I looked back though all the collections from the past 9 years. I really appreciate her ability to create a story with each season. I love that she is unabashed, and sometimes downright vulgar (boys <3 BJ tees, kiss marks on the butts of shorts etc). However, it falls apart for me when there is just too many things happening at once. She's not a great editor. And yes, this is part of her signature, but no one wants to literally look like a clown other than Halloween or a kids birthday (or if you are into that kind of thing).
As we all know glamor is in for the coming seasons, so I'd like to give signature Betsey a little polish, no too much, it still needs a gritty side. The clothes will still be fun and flirty and sassy, but just not so tacky.
I know Betsey already has a successor in real life, her daughter, but I'm not going into fashion anyway so my fantasy can be as fantastical as a Betsey Johnson runway show.
The price range of Betsey Johnson is between $150 to $700 for dresses, making some of it affordable for special occasions for a lower income bracket and also seduces people with bigger bank accounts to buy more pieces. She also has more than a dozen license agreements including footwear, intimates, accessories, and fragrances that seem to be relatively affordable for a high-end brand.

Ali:
somehow your chosen company does not come as a surprise. Good analysis and customer profiling though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

ds5: Fashion Design © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates